Ready to move it?
I hope so because I’ve compiled a list of common activities, both everyday and exercise-related and how many calories each burns (in one hour) to help you get a better idea of
how many slices of pie you can eat how much/what kind of moving it you need to do to maintain or change your shape.
Now, keep in mind that these are approximate and are based on the efforts of a 150 lb. person (generally speaking, the more you weigh, the more you burn…and vice versa), but these should at least make for a useful guide. Also, knowing how many burpees it takes to burn off a bowl of Chunky Monkey might help keep you from turning into something that resembles your snack’s name.
- Running (8-minute-mile): 900, Jogging: 475
- Soccer (competitive): 480, Basketball: 450, Volleyball: 300
- Push-ups (moderate): 340, (vigorous): 575/HOUR (Push-ups are great and all, but ONE HOUR of them…yeesh!)
- Weight-lifting, (moderate): 230 (vigorous): 400 (Body Pump would fall into this range).
- Sitting on your bum reading blogs: 70 (not that I want you to stop!), Writing: 70 (this blogging business isn’t terribly great for one’s waistline on the reading or the writing end!).
- Pushing a stroller (with a kid in it!): 180
- Step aerobics (low impact): 475, (high): 700
- Teeth-brushing (just wanted to make sure you were still with me): 170 (Can you imagine? Your fitness accountability partner wants to know what kind of exercise you did today, and you say, “Weeeellll, I brushed my teeth for an hour. It was on some blogger chick’s list.” Neither she nor your gums would find it funny).
- Power yoga: 350, Bikram (hot) yoga: 475
- Kickboxing: 700
- Backpacking: 500
- Elliptical: 775
- Dance aerobics (including Zumba): 400 (NOT the 1,200 cals/hr that your calorie-counting watch from Walmart claims you burned…but that’s another post for another time).
- Badminton (uh-huh): 300
- Housework: 200, Carrying an infant: 250
Aaaand…because I’m pretty sure I would be violating some sort of unspoken blogger code by posting an entry without any photos, I thought I’d show you the following pic from about 10 p.m. last night…brought to you by Keepin’ it Real.
Carrying a child WHILE doing housework (15 minutes) = 75 cals burned. Of course, Apple Crostata for dessert = way more consumed. Ugh. Math stinks.
If you would like to look up the approximate caloric expenditure of an activity I may not have included (although I’m pretty sure I got the really big ones: badminton…check…teeth-brushing…check, check), my source for today’s numbers was: www.healthstatus.com (I will say most of their numbers seemed a tad high to me).
Here’s to moving it!
See you tomorrow for Try-it Tuesday!